When it is time for a family to move it is helpful to keep in mind the impact on the children in the family. Kids are aware of major stressors in their household such as moving. The level of disruption is present for them.
Frequently during a move Realtors are focused upon the adults and their goals. Kids also have goals and concerns.
With the parent's permission engage their children in the moving process. Depending upon the age of the children the conversation may take different directions. Here are a few age appropriate suggestions:
Ages 4-5 years old ==============
1. Give the kids a coloring book and a toy moving truck.
2. Let the kids know that their are many new friends eager to meet them at their new home.
3. Go to the new home with the whole family. Encourage the children to walk around the vacant home, open the closets, check out the outdoor space and the view.
Ages 5-9 years old ==============
1. Visit the new home with the whole family.
2. Drive by the new school.
3. Ask the children to take photos of anything important to them about "the old home" and "the old neighborhood".
4. Introduce the concept of a home is where you live and enjoy live together as a family. A house is just a house. The love in the house is transportable.
Ages 10-12 years old ================
1. Demonstrate that the new neighborhood has fun activities for the children to enjoy.
2. Point out where children their ages live close by.
3. Visit the school.
Ages 13-17 years old ================
1. Suggest planning a sleep over party at the new house. If the new house is relatively close to the previous one invite the friends from the old house to join.
2. Encourage the children to talk with their friends after the move.
3. Visit the school.
4. Visit the shopping mall.
5. Point out club, gyms, YMCAs, etc. in the area.
Always ask the parents/guardians their permission before making suggestions. Keep the children in mind. A move is stressful for them too. They want to feel like they have a choice in the matter.
About Colleen K. Cotter - mySanDiegoAgent Realty Group
The mySanDiegoAgent Realty Group provides professional real estate consultation in the areas of residential, income properties, luxury rentals, short sales, first time home Buyers, real estate for senior citizens, real estate issues related to divorce, military and corporate relocation. We are experts in downtown San Diego and coastal properties especially Coronado, Encinitas and Point Loma, downtown lofts and condos, urban planning and sports team seasonal placements.
We all want to enhance our neighborhoods. Chris Cate, Councilmem
"We are very pleased with the high quality of service, dedication and professionalism that Philip Crocker provided us during our recent home purchase in North Park. We would highly recommend him to anyone."